Monday, May 12, 2008

obsession.

I have a love for crafting. That much is obvious, I would think.

But the question was thrown to me recently...why do you continue creating? And as I stopped to think about my answer, I had to laugh. What was the first thing that popped into my head?

The obsession to buy supplies.

Strands of gemstones...in every color, size & shape. Vintage glass, czech glass, lucite...oh my! Bright & shiny sterling silver, antiqued brass, oxidized copper, gold-filled...oh, where do I begin? Headpins, eyepins, clasps, charms, french hooks, kidney wires...

And that's just for jewelry! We won't even get into the fabric involved in sewing up rag dolls...

So I began the process of replenishing some jewelry supplies today...needless to say, it was an ordeal. Imagine this, if you can (which, if you're a crazy crafter...you probably can!).

I have 'X' amount in my Paypal account and I NEED certain things (earwires, headpins, clasps, etc). All seems to be going well until I sneak a quick look into my favorite vintage bead shop.

Damn.

There goes that 'X' amount. And I still need those supplies...you know, the NECESSARY ones.

*sigh*

And of course, since I already cheated and bought some un-planned beads...well, I may as well purchase a couple of brassy charms I've been eyeing, right?

Double Damn.

So, now I'm broke...but I'll have some really sweet earrings in the shop soon ;P

7 comments:

Just Another Runner said...

oh, i can definitely relate - my paypal balance never stays very high as i'm always finding fiber i just "have to have" - even though i have no room for it and have enough already that it would take me months to spin it all!

letitiah said...

this is entirely too familiar a process! My eyes are constantly being drawn to small, shiny and colourful baubles ... it's tough!

BeadedTail said...

It's impossible to run into a bead store for just one thing and not come out with oodles of more beads and findings! There's always something new that might come in handy sometime so have to have it!

UniqueNurseGranny said...

How easy to relate.i just did that on Mothers Day when we stopped by a bead shop.I can not help myself.Good not to be the only one.

Tizzalicious said...

That sounds SO familiar!

Jaimee McClellan said...

I understand completely!

...and I'm excited to see all the new things you make.

Tamara said...

You too? I can so relate. Love your blog and your beautiful creations.